Monday, December 7, 2009

Holiday Baking, 70 down 560 to go

I just got my first batch of holiday baking done and shipped off. What do I make? Glad you asked, shortbread! It all started about 12 years ago when I asked a coworker for her recipe. She declined at first saying it was a family recipe of a friend and she promised to never give it out. Well I finally wore her down, promising myself to never give it out.. and I haven't (fingers crossed) well, only a few times.12 years later, and about a 650 pieces a year made, I am still at it. I only make it at Christmas and my list of who I give to seems to keep growing. In addition to shortbread, I will make buckeyes and fudge. Last year I did truffles and buckeyes, but there will always be shortbread no matter what else I make. I must be crazy! But I do it for the people I care about because they are special to me. And because I have one co-worker who will say to me, "I look forward to this every year, thank you." And that is why I do it.
Are you planning any holiday baking? If so, what are your baking traditions, what is a must in your arsenal of baked goodies? Anything new you want to try? Michelle (one of them) at Fellowship had something I want to try with golden graham cereal..That will be the next thing I try.


That's all☺

6 comments:

  1. Are you sure you won't give out the shortbread recipe on the internet??? Cuz it sounds good. If not, I'll e-mail you my address and you can send some to me :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suz...I can't wait to hear what you think of the Yummies !! They are a family favorite here.

    I love shortbread but I have a tough time making good shortbread but I managed to finally make fudge this year so there is always hope.

    What are buckeyes?

    BTW: I loved getting homemade goodies when I worked it was a favorite treat as I never had time to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FF..lol well I would never give it over the internet. If my friend meems found out, she would kill me!
    Michelle, buckeyes (that's what I call em) are basically a peanut butter ball dipped in chocolate. So kind like a Reese's peanut butter cup, but better I think.. I can share that one if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes please..I love Reese's peanut butter cups. Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Michelle, I will round up the recipe tonight and get it to you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suz....now you have me hungry for shortbread...

    I need to get busy and start baking...I'm such a slacker this year...

    ~Hugs

    ReplyDelete