Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Shortbread




Thanks Tracie for hosting this virtual cookie recipe exchange! Check it out for some new recipes.

Here it goes ladies, I am submitting my much loved shortbread recipe with you all! What is the point of having a great recipe and not sharing so here you go!

Shortbread:

Ingredients
1 pound(4 sticks) good quality butter at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup superfine or baker's sugar
4 cups flour

Method:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees f
Put butter in a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, stir butter so it is no longer in the sticks but all incorporated together. Add salt and sugar mix together. Add 1 cup flour and stir until well mixed. Repeat this step, stirring with the wooden spoon for cup 2 and cup 3 of flour. Add the last cup of flour, put down your wooden spoon and begin to knead the dough with your hands mixing well. Once the dough is thoroughly mixed, keep kneading. When you are tired of kneading, knead some more. I usually try and knead it about 5 minutes. The dough should not be sticky. If it is, add flour 1 tablespoon at at time until is no longer sticky.

Turn it out into a 15x10x7 jelly roll type pan. spread evenly in the pan, use a rolling pin to smooth it out. prick the entire surface of the dough with a fork and crimp the edges with the back of the fork.

Bake for 45 minutes or until a golden brown. Remove from oven and cut immediately in to small squares (I usually get 70 pieces per batch) and sprinkle with a little more superfine sugar. cool completely and then remove from the pan. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I have always wanted a good recipe for Shortbread. I will definitely be trying this recipe because shortbread is my favorite cookie snack. I am hoping it will still work if I substitute Splenda for the sugar (it is super fine) since I am a diabetic and cannot make my treats with sugar (I use sugar for those I serve to others).

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keli,
    I don't know why you couldn't, never tried it. You will have to let me know how it works out! The details are what makes this good. Good quality ingredients and the time to knead the dough.. that is what makes them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Splenda all the time..my family can't tell the diff :)

    ReplyDelete